View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
himnherr

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
It is beautiful! How do you QAYG after the blocks are assembled? The only QAYG that I have seen is quilted as the blocks are assembled. I would love to see how you do this. A tutorial???

Norma
I can't do a tutorial but I'll describe how I'm doing it. I took the layout- started in top left corner, pinned one vertical row, sewed those blocks together. I then cut my batting about 1/2" wider than the blocks and about 3" longer than the strip of blocks. I cut my backing into strips the same length but about 1/2" wider on both sides than my batting. I pinned my backing on in strategic places and started working from the center of the block out. I SID on one side of the red center square working my way out stitching in the ditch only on the ends of the "logs", so it makes a kind of zigzag effect. I did that out to end on all 4 corners. When I get that row done I will start on the next vertical row. Since I'm not stitching to the outer log it'll leave the top free on the last 1" on both sides. I will lay 2 strips facing each other, sew through just the top, making it all one quilt top, with the batting and backing already quilted. Then I will fold under the extra backing and stitch in the ditch catching the backing. I have done it this way before on a 9 patch and it worked fine. I know the front will look just fine done this way, and I purposely chose a busy calico print for the backing so mistakes won't show too much. And, remember it's for my camper. :-)