Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I'm wondering if the high prices we are seeing are related to the economy. Perhaps the sellers are feeling the need to raise some money, and are setting their price accordingly. If you don't really want to sell something, I think the tendency is to price it high and sit on it. I had friends with featherweights that did that a few years back. They didn't really want to sell the machines, but it seemed silly to not take $500 or something for it. So, they priced them high and stuck to their price.

The trendy clothing store All Saints also decorates their stores with hundreds of machines, and they pay about $50 a machine, running or not. I think they bear some of the blame for the sharp increases in price. Just my thoughts on the subject. Laura
Laura,

I have noticed that when the stocks fall, then the machine prices seem to go up. Doubt that is true, and nobody is going to get rich on selling vintage sewing machines.

I also doubt that prices are going up because of All Saints or even this site. Folks are just looking for items to sell. There are some good souls that are giving away machines for either free or cheap. They know that they will not get rich from selling a machine, but it could pay for a nice lunch or dinner.

I believe that some look at the ebay prices and think that they can get the same on CLs.

I have a Two Spools that I picked up for $30. A month later, a Two Spools sold on ebay for ~$650, just machine head. I have another Two Spools in parlor cabinet that I paid $150. For me, that was a good deal since I didn't own a treadle cabinet for the first Two Spools. Now for someone else that may have been too high a price.
Deals are out there to be found at either garage sales or CLs. One has to be patient in finding the deals and living in the correct location. Unless you are Pat, and you are willing to drive across the country picking up machines.

I love wandering around CLs posts looking for the deals or interesting machines, like the Weed machine in PA that I posted the other day. For me, that machine is too high a price, but for some collector that might just be an excellent deal. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Whatever makes one happy!!!

Last edited by vintagemotif; 04-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.