View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 AM
romanojg

Why don't you start with large blocks. Try to do the 1/4 seems but don't don't get frustrated. My daughters first quilt was with 8in blocks that she put in rows and then since they wouldn't match up with seems we put sashing strips between the rows so you wouldn't notice as much. It turned out so nice. When she came over to my house and showed me her 2nd quilt done all on her own; still large blocks but no sashing but just about all the seams matched up I was so proud of her I could have cried and she did it all on her own. You just have to get in there and do it. If you are worried about the cost of fabric use old clothes or buy cheap fabric from Walmarts but unless you just do it you won't get better. My daughter has limited skills and my 25 yr old singer so she can't even say she has a great machine but she's determined. Even though she takes long breakes in between sewing she wants to do it. You can do it but you have to start to get better. Even the most experienced person on this board finds someone who is better and all of us makes mistakes and sometimes we make big dumb mistakes that a beginner wouldn't make because she's more careful.