View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
Something that's happened to me before is that I've made the inside of a quilt and then had a hard time finding the right border material for it. Now, although I don't always have the whole quilt planned, I usually do try to have the border fabric predetermined, and I try to incorporate some of it into my quilt so that it all goes nicely together.

This is how I do it too! I almost always incorporate some of the fabric I used in the border into the quilt. If I am doing a pieced border then definitely I will be using some, if not all of the fabrics I used in the quilt in the border. I am one who buys fabric without a purpose in mind. I like the fabric, I buy. So I always try to buy enough yardage to incorporate some into a border, even if it is just a narrow accent border.

On occasion, I have bought a fabric and saw that a coordinated border stripe was available so bought it to go with, for when I get around to using it in a project. I usually buy enough to do a queen size quilt, which is my most common quilt size.

I have only had an intended border fabric not work out once and ended up buying a different fabric.