View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Odeliasimone

Default Puzzled With Dutchman's Puzzle

Hello everyone. Just found this forum. I am just learning to quilt and have been working on our class project. (class is done). I am trying to figure out why I am having such trouble with a simple Dutchman's Puzzle. When completed, it is a 6" square. The light fabric square of 2 3/8" is cut diagonally to create the smaller triangles and the dark fabric, a square of 4 1/4" cut 4 ways to create the larger triangles. The measurement of each goose is then 2" high by 3 1/2" long. I sew with a 1/4" foot the first light triangle onto the dark triangle, press it open, trim off dog ear, and go back and sew the second light triangle on and press. I am then ready to square it up and cut dog ears. But each one is just a bit different and so when I end up putting it together, it sure is not perfect by a long shot!! Do I just need to be patient and practice, practice, practice or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? It seems like my material has trouble with stretching as well because each piece seems to curve. p.S. I was the only one in class who had to throw my first square in the trash!!!! Oh my! I do the other squares just fine BTW.

Thanks.
Linda