View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
If I bought someone a gift, I wouldn't leave the price sticker on it, so why would do that? I only give a quilt when I know the person wants it. Making it a surprise is very risky. It might mean they would feel obliged to display it even if it's not their taste, or they might just pack it away. Cost is less important than the pleasure someone would have in the gift. Maybe if they love you, they are touched by your kindness, but you need to be very sensitive to what they like, not just what you do. If they have a registry, look at what they asked for and try to find out their color choices, decorating style, etc. If you already know they like traditional stuff, you might be safer. I asked my daughters what they wanted, some were very specific, as they were later with baby quilts. One appreciates whatever I give her and loves the appliqued tree of life I designed for her.

I agree with this completely. Adding the price seems tacky to me, plus you will be out an appraisal fee. If there is any reason to doubt that your gift will be appreciated, why do it at all? Almost everyone these days uses a bridal registry. Save yourself potential grief, and save the gift of your talents for those you know will be deserving.