View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM
amandasgramma

First --- look for a dealer of ANY machine that's close to you. You do NOT want to have to ship your machine every time you need a check on it or a maintenance work done. Also, if the local dealer offers classes, then that's a big plus.

Two -- are you going to do professional quilting??? If you're doing one just for your use, then don't go into the $40 or $50 thousand dollar machines. I quilt for customers and do just as well as those that have expensive machines.

Three -- Go check out my quilting --- you do NOT need a computer. I had the advice of a LQS owner that has longarms....she said to learn to do free-motion quilting first, then think about a computer. My machine is in an outbuilding.....I had "babysat" a longarm with a computer. I found it boring as all get out --- I'd have to stay near the machine and there was nothing to do out there while the machine did the work. I prefer hands on doing it all myself. My work isn't perfect, but it's ME!
Another: How much room do you have? If you have limited space, then be sure to look into how much room the machine needs. I have a HandiQuilter Avante (18") -- I wish I had room for the Fusion (22") but if I got that I wouldn't be able to walk around the machine. You need at LEAST 2 feet on each end and I'd say at least 5 feet more on the front to back measurement.