View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Somebunny

It is a throw away society we have these days and the kids just don't know any different. I tell my boys when I give them something special, knowing some day a girlfriend/wife may come along and think differently of my gifts, to feel free to give it back to me if they don't want it any longer. I also try to make sure I explain history and importance when necessary. They can only learn what I teach them. The DIL may change her mind after seeing her quilt loved and displayed so beautifully at your home. And letting her know more about the labor and who made it, may cause her to have a completey different view of it. I think it's ok to pack something away for later years also. Maybe she won't value it or have a place for it until she is over 40 or 60. It could be a beautiful future gift for them down the road when they are older and their value system changes. Or mayge your grandchild will show interest and that would be very special to have something that was her parents wedding present. The quilt is beautiful, I love hand sewn quilts. It's a treasure period, good job for saving it.