View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for a moment:

When we originally got our house appraised (as first time homebuyers, 15 years ago), and when I got some antique (and terribly battered) books appraised this spring, and when I watched Antiques Roadshow on various occasions, I was startled by the subjectivity of the process. Ultimately an item is as valuable as the market says it is...and it is in an appraiser's best interest to give you a high number. I fully agree that quilt labor is seriously undervalued, but it is also consistently undervalued, which suggests that the market is setting a value that no amount of appraisals is going to change! I wish it were otherwise.

I would also be a tiny bit afraid that poverty-stricken newlyweds might see a high number on the appraisal ticket, and try to sell their brand new quilt! (Cynical me.)

Alison

"poverty stricken" newyweds??? The ones I come in contact with have purchased their newly constructed house prior to their "special day", she has a rock on her finger and the wedding is over the top. And yes, some of these "poor" newlyweds are shortly out of college and not employed but they have to have it all!

Frankly, unless the hppy couple is actively part of the quilt construction ( input on design, colors etc) I am not taking a chance on giving them a quilt. It implies that they are obligated to use it even if they don't like it. My 2 cents

While I can understand the desire to show the happy couple hw much the quilt appraised fr, I'm not sure of what the impact will be. Like that rock on Her finger, appraised Values are always inflated for insurance purposes. Now that s a reason to include it. Insure it!

As another poster pointed out.....market price is what someone is willing to pay. I learned this in my marketing class oh so many years ago. So true!
Sandy

Sandy