Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I have to agree with Joe on this issue. I'd never put a metal belt on any of my treadles - they were not intended to be used with a metal belt. They have survived a hundred years, but I am not so sure putting a metal belt on them would give them another hundred years. I will stick to the leather belts they were intended to use. I also think the aquarium tubing would be a good choice, but all my treadles have regular leather treadle belts. I am too much of a traditionalist I guess, but I feel we should put on those old machines things that were intended to be used on them. I just don't like the idea of metal - for the noise, or the wear and tear on the machine hand wheel or treadle wheel.

Nancy
Nancy, When I picked up my first Two Spools that had been made into a e-machine at one time, it came with a spring coil. At the time, I didn't understand why or for what that coil would be needed with that machine. I just figured it must have been thrown in drawer and forgotten. It wasn't until I purchased the spring coil for testing that I realized the Two Spools must have had a spring coil for treadle belt. The two spring coils, old and new, have the same diameter and look the same. I believe leather was cheaper and easier to find. So, most machines had the leather belts.

I do agree that there can be stress on the wheel if the coil is attached to tightly. One can easily lift the spring coil off the wheel when not in use, which I forget to do with my Two Spools.

The leather looks the prettiest and seems to be the most natural for these vintage machines. The aquarium tubing looks odd, but I find that it works great!