Thread: Art Quilters?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I would like to try an artsy quilt but I only do traditional quilts. When I think of artsy, I think of $$. I think you need to buy new supplies and tools. I can draw very well, but the closet I come to artsy is applique. And I don't machine or really hand quilt. But I think if I did a 16"x16" block and just used fabric and thread and buttons, I could make something. Would that be considered artsy? If I used Mistyfuse? Or would it just be applique? I could machine quilt a block that size...make it look like water or grass or something. I know there are no rules, but there needs to be something that says if it's artsy or traditional, right? I'm such a chicken that I've only used patterns except on my backings...then I get creative. I wish I were more like the rest of you.
Hi Jeanne, I bet you have more artsy in you than you realize!!! How about pretending (if that helps) that you are working on the back of a 16" x 16" block and do something with the tools you have on hand that is slightly out of the norm for you. From what I have read on here, we all come in different shapes and with different talents.

Personally, I find that other's work usually clicks something in me and that helps me get going. That's also why we all like it when others post photos of what they are trying. If I am not mistaken, an artsy quilt doesn't have to stand up to wear n' tear nor washings, so you could use some things that will work for art on the wall! Sew, you can use yarns, acrylic paints, whatever to add whatever you might want to do. Please someone jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.