Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I had a "what were they smoking?" experience today. I was in a shop a friend told me about because they had seen sewing machines in there. So I'm looking and I finally find the treadle my friend had seen. Nice cabinet, plain but in good shape so I look at the machine. It's aVelox B with decals gone and lettering on arm barely visible. Tag says it's complete and I don't know but there was nothing in the drawers and the seller wants $275 for it. I smile and move on. So I find another machine which is dinged up, the power cord has spilt at the plug (2 separate halves for the plug) and there's no foot pedal/controller. This seller wants $50 for the machine and for a "Rare, vintage" Singer buttonholer in a green case, the seller wants $60. I did find a couple of manuals that I bought there but they were reasonably priced. As I'm checking out, I let the gal at the shop know that both of the machines are seriously overpriced and as a collector of vintage sewing machines I just wouldn't pay the asking prices. I told her that I thought $125 for the Velox B was most likely more reasonable if the seller wanted to truly sell it.
Chris, I've given up passing on advice like that to people. They have always been defensive and usually think we are just looking to steal it at a low price. I usually get, "Well, I see them "listed" (not sold of course) on ebay for such and such amount so this is a bargain." And I see the same CL ads over and over until I want to puke....