Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Default Are the color cards for solid fabrics worth it???

I want to start an elaborate machine appliqued quilt for my daughter, who wants two shades of blue for the background fabric (a navy and something lighter).

I figure my choices are Kaufman Kona solids, Moda Bella solids, Moda Marbles, and Bali 1895 solids. None of the LQS carry all of these brands (I would have to call around to find out who carries what), and whatever brand they carry I'm sure they have only a small assortment of possible colors.

Checked out the price of fabric cards at Hancock's of Paducah, and they are expensive! $20 each for Kona and Bella, $35 for Moda Marbles, and $30 for Bali. $105 plus shipping just to see one-inch square samples of each color!

I'm just *so* afraid I will order 8 yards of two fabrics that won't really go together (plus I need a sashing fabric that coordinates).

Is there an easier way to do this, or should I just bite the bullet and order all of the swatch cards? I wonder how long the swatch cards will be good for. If they will last 10 years, then okay. It's just that I don't often need solid colors. Any suggestions?