View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
marks1009

OK -- don't laugh -- this is my very first attempt at paper piecing, and my very first attempt at a 'real' quilt block, and my very first Pineapple block! I got the pattern online, reduced it to 6" square, raided the stash for old dress fabric, and started hacking! I cut really perfect little purple triangles, and long strips of white that I cut to fit as I went along. It took about an hour to finish.

It looks a little different from other pineapples I've seen -- wondering if the square corners formed by the white should be covered with the long sides of the purple triangles -- my pattern has them just meeting.

Anyway, I'm LIKIN' this paper piecing thing! This little block is probably the most perfect piece of sewing I've done in a LONG time, all because I was sewing on the lines on the paper, and pretty much ignoring the edges of the fabric! I think it really helped that my triangles were very precise, and the edges of the white strips were very clean. I just lined up points with centers, edges with the original squares, and it all seemed to fall into place!

I think I'll keep the paper on this little guy, and tack him to the design board to just enjoy!

Paper pieced pinapple #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43229[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43229.jpe