View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Cindy60545

I agree with all these posts. I just got my LA in March. But, I researched & test drove machines for over a year. Every chance I got to go to a show where there were LA's I went. I also became certified on a couple of different machines before I made my choice. That way I could get the "feel" of the machines & how I interacted with them. From that I made a list of features that I definitely wanted, could live without or could put on the back burner for later after I gained more experience. I found that having a stitch regulator in the beginning was an absolute must. After that it's bells & whistles. I chose a Tin Lizzie 18. (Actually I got the Queen Quilter 18, which IS a Tin Lizzie 18). I don't have computerized, but can add it at any time. Through my research & talking to other LA's, learning free motion to start with is more rewarding. Yes, I practice a lot, I mark my tops & take my time to do the quilting, but I see improvements with each & every quilt. Like when we first started quilting, it's a learning curve & the more we do it, the better we get.
Everyone has opinions on different machines, both sewing & LA's. Ultimately, the choice will be yours. Let us know what you decide.