Thread: Elna Supermatic
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Very nice- and complete! I got one recently, but not quite as described on Craigslist. When I finally met up with the traveling seller in a parking lot I was unable to of course test it, but realized the handwheel turns only about a 1/4". And naturally the CL pics were Not of the machine itself, but purloined from the net. So- no accessories case or discs. Asking price was $75, got it for $35, and it sits in my To Do room. I think the way the case becomes the table is the coolest feature! I looked at Ray White's site for info on replacing the drive pulley and it looks do-able with the rented tool, but considering the fact the machine is jammed I'll probably have to find a place to service it professionally. I think the Elna company was ahead of its time with the folding knee lift and table features. I recently noticed a Viking on CL and the design of the machine is very similar- were the companies related? Please post on how replacing the drive pulley works out. What a good find!
I joined the elna yahoo group and got some good advice. First I'm going to try to file the drive pulley before going to the expense of buying a replacement and renting the tool. One person has had very good success with filing it down. It's messy and you have to blow out the machine afterwards,but I'm going to give that a go first. Sometimes it doesn't work, but all I'd be out is the cost of canned air to give it a try.

Have you removed your handwheel to look inside? Also, have you removed your bobbin case and cleaned it? This is a basic machine and I'd hate to see you have to pay someone to do the work. Also, did you oil and lube it? Of course, I did that and will have to do it again because all the lubed and oiled areas will be a magnet for the shavings that come off the pulley. Sigh.