Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
gardnergal970

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Like you Jan I'm not from a line of quilters. My mom was just getting started before she died. She was making "utility" type quilts from left over clothes and drapery fabrics and would put an old woven flannel blanket in the middle and then tie them. I've got a log cabin version she used with 3" strips and bring it out for special guests. No it's not pretty but it's what I have and I cherish it. Her father and GF were tailor's in Sweden, then Gpa got the urge to travel west to America and became a farmer, but sewed in his retirement.

Hey do we have a new groupie? Welcome DaeK!
What a heritage you have Oksewglad. I think originally all quilting was utility and you have one of the best from your Mom. My grandmothers both quilted utility quilts and I got my start by snipping the chain pieces for Mom while she made the treadle fly as she made quilts for wedding gifts out of feed sacking. I don't remember too much about the finishing but I think she did them all herself. I took some quilting lessons many years ago but didn't really take it up seriously until about 18 months ago. My goal is to make quilts for all of my family. I'll have 10 done by the middle of next month. I love to quilt!

DaeK...saddle up and travel along with us. We're a fun group.