View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM
MdmSew'n'Sew

Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.

I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.
Welcome!

Check out some of the pictures posted for the Round Robins in the Members Swap section - that should give you lots of ideas of how various people added borders to a center - someone creates a center or sends a fabric panel, the next person adds a border, then the 3rd person adds a second border ... really interesting, there are so many ideas and pictures, it's sure to fire you up, and like everyone has said, the borders don't have to be the same size on the sides as on the top/bottom, as long as they play together - like feline fanatic's trees - if she had used the same trees for the top and bottom as on the sides, the top & bottom would be taller, while the sides are skinny, so if trees were 5" tall and 3" wide, top and bottom would be maybe 6", with border background and the sides would be 4" - there's lots of ways to get what you want. Show us pictures when you can.