View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
FroggyinTexas

Just as I got really comfortable with a 1/4 inch seam, some diabolical member of the quilt police came up with "scant 1/4 inch," and absolutely meaningless designation that has no reliable definition. Someone wrote to move the seam over "one thread." Here is a hot flash for all you flashers: All threads in fabric are not equal! Some are thick and some are thin and some are in between. Likewise the thread with which you are sewing.

How about giving yourself a break, along with the rest of us? Go back to the 1/4 inch seam, try to sew straight and leave the scant 1/4 inch to all the sadists out there who just can't leave well enough alone.

Keep that seam simple, sewists! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I have a Janome 6600 and I'm using my 1/4 inch foot. I need 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 blocks. Every stinking one I've made is 8 x 8 or a little bigger, not even close to the 8 1/2. It has to be the
SCANT part that I'm messing up. With the 1/4 inch foot, there's not much room to move my needle over. Do I need to change my foot? I'm at my wit's end here. Can anybody give me any advice? I"ve done the search here and nothing seems to 'click' with me. Hellllllp! Please.