Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM
TX_Cutie

I just bought a great new machine from Costco. It's a Brother XR-9000. I posted about it on this site a few days ago. It's not listed on their site and Costco says it's a new model.

It cost $189.99 and has 80 stitches, plus one monogram font, 8 one touch buttonholes, a top drop bobbin, automatic needle threader and start/stop buttons (plus a foot pedal). It came with a few extras for quilting: an extended quilting table arm (adds about 12 inches to the machine) and the free motion foot. It didn't come with a 1/4" foot or the walking foot but I got both at JoAnn for $20.

I had also purchased a Brother CS-6000 from Walmart.com the week before. It cost only $174.99. It is the exact same machine except that it only had 60 stitches and no monogram. It came with the same quilting table, free motion foot, AND the walking foot and 1/4" foot. I had it a week and really liked it. The only reason I returned it was b/c I saw the Costco one at the store and thought, "hey, 20 more stitches!".

Both machines are quiet and don't shake when stitching fast (even through layers). I'm very pleased with how easy it is to select a stitch and change the feet. I didn't want to spend much money on a machine b/c I'm really just a casual quilter and crafter. I think I got a great value for the price.

The Walmart machine is only available online and the Costco model is only available in teh store. (Costco did tell me that they're going to start featuring it online, but who knows when that will be.)