View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
BuzzinBumble

Default A Quilt for a Hero - lots of pictures

This quilt was a blessing to me to make. I really threw my all into it and learned several new techniques in the process. It is going to one of our soldiers who was severely wounded in Afghanistan.

The minute I saw the American Valor Eagle fabric panel, I wanted to make a quilt with it. I didn't want to rely completely on the printed panel, so I did a lot of piecing too. For instance: the 4 prairie stars at the corners are sewn blocks with 80 pieces each, but the other stars are part of the printed fabric panel. Figuring out how to customize the quilt was really fun and I had lots of help from my DH with the design. For the first time, he totally got into the process of making of a quilt! He also took over a lot of household work for me the big ol' sweetie.

This was my sixth quilt and my first time making a large quilt. (It is 80" square) It is pieced by me and free hand LAQ'ed by Julie DeGrave of Pinesand Needles Quilting. My DH and I are over the moon about the work Julie did on this quilt. You can see she threw her heart into it too for this deserving young man! The threadwork she did on the center eagle panel turned it into a piece of art. I will try to provide close ups of the eagle, but photos don't capture how beautifully she quilted him.
Attached Thumbnails american-valor-quilt-1.jpg   prairie-star-border-1.jpg   prairie-star-bear-paw-corner-1.jpg   prairie-star-corner-1.jpg   prairie-star-1.jpg  

eagle-panel-close-up-1.jpg   eagle-panel-close-bottom-1.jpg  

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 05-03-2012 at 04:14 PM.