View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
gigi712

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Just as I got really comfortable with a 1/4 inch seam, some diabolical member of the quilt police came up with "scant 1/4 inch," and absolutely meaningless designation that has no reliable definition. Someone wrote to move the seam over "one thread." Here is a hot flash for all you flashers: All threads in fabric are not equal! Some are thick and some are thin and some are in between. Likewise the thread with which you are sewing.

How about giving yourself a break, along with the rest of us? Go back to the 1/4 inch seam, try to sew straight and leave the scant 1/4 inch to all the sadists out there who just can't leave well enough alone.

Keep that seam simple, sewists! froggyintexas
I was looking for help because everything was cut right and all sewn with a 1/4 " exactly and my blocks were not measuring up correctly. THAT'S WHY I brought the subject to the board. And you know what? Now I have several 8 1/2" perfect blocks! Believe me I'd love to sew the 1/4" and be done with it, but it wasn't working for me. I don't know about you but I'm not sewing just to listen to the machine, I want to make a quilt where all squares line up! Now you go back to your 1/4" seams and let us sadists who aren't doing so great using that method find a solution. How about THAT???????

Gale in Texas