Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
sew cornie

Ugh, I think I got myself in a bit over my head. :oops: When I drew this out, I liked the design of the Flying Dutchman blocks but didn't think about matching up all the points when putting them together block to block. Although it was challenging, I'm very pleased with how the center has turned out. Now to the borders . . . none are attached yet. I just finished sewing geese together to finish one end of the pieced border only to discover the points of those geese aren't lining up with the points of the center across the green border (does that make sense?). I'm 1/2 an inch too long on either end. I now have to separate each of those geese, measure the distance point to point of the Puzzle blocks, then trim the geese to match each measurement. What I thought I'd finish in one night will now take probably two weeks. :cry:

On the upside, this gives me more time to figure out how to quilt this. I could really use some help with ideas here. It's for my 3 year old son and I will be hand-quilting it. The center is made of 20 Flying Dutchman blocks but I don't want that to be obvious. I don't want to bring attention to the blocks as individuals, but rather keep the focus on the mosaic look as a whole. It will be bound and backed with the bright green (inner border). Any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Thanks much,
Jen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11020.jpe