View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Tea.... I'm a bit of an Earl Grey girl myself, occasionally lapsang suchong, apart from the standard tea bags.

Dublb - Wonderful, a Texan tea drinker! Leaf tea is a great ritual, and an excuse for a nice teapot and tea cosy. Patriotic tea cosy?

Thimblebug - The pictures don't really explain how I'm doing it. It's applique where cutting the material is the last thing you do. The daffodil outline is on the paper stencil, it is laid on top of the yellow, with the background material underneath. Then I sew along the lines, remove the paper, and only trim along the edges of the flower shape when I get there with the blanket stitch. This prevents fraying before I am ready to sew it. The applique is anchored in with the machine and hand stitching, and the blanket stitch covers the raw edge. There again, on the picture where I show work on the rose, the paper is on the back and I'm adding stitched detail... All will be revealed eventually, quilt and methods, but in the meantime I really need you ladies to cheer me on because it is going to be weeks and weeks yet...

QuiltE - Glad you spotted the old fashioned look! I'm using a 1927 Singer 99K hand machine, so perhaps the look was slightly inevitable!

This is the first thread on here where I have found so many Canadians - I'm really enjoying hearing from you all!

Sorry Muv
... somehow I missed this post!
Oh yes, Earl Grey is one of my favourites too, though I do really like Lady Grey when I can find her!

Good suggestion
Muv,to DublB ... how about a tea cozy DublB?????

I know you don't want to show more of this WIP. Because we're intrigued about your different technique, could you show us something else that you have done using the same technique?? It might help us have a better idea of what you're doing and where you're heading.

And OMG ... you're using a hand sewing machine as in crank with your hand and no electricity? Now there's a patriotic heritage spirit!!!! The machine combined with the technique are perfect ..... I "think" where you are heading is what I remember as some of the way the older linens that my Mom had were made. At least, that's what my brain is telling me!

Glad you are enjoying the Crazy Canucks here ... how 'bout bringing some more of your Brits along to this tea party!!!!!