Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM
kapatt

A friend created a wonderful quilt from the middle out. She did it in phases. She started the quilt with only the idea of what she wanted in the middle. When that was done, she then designed what she would be the next phase. I loved the way her quilt looked after she was done.

I wanted to add that I like to make quilts both ways. I love to use traditional patterns. My neighbor (quilting buddy) and I are making a couple of quilts from the blocks in the Farmer's Wife book. It gives us a chance to try blocks that we have never made before. I don't enjoy working with small blocks so we decided to enlarge our blocks and not put all of the blocks in the quilts.

I'm making a quilt for my husband with a buffalo panel in it. My husband and I will design it as we go along.

I'm making a quilt for my 7 year old niece that is a combination of a traditional pattern but with changes that she wanted made. I had to draw out the blocks so that I could see the best way to combine the material and not waste too much fabric.

I made myself a quilt from a design similar to the "Turning Twenty" system. I love the way it came out.

I made a traditional quilt of stars for my daughter. I made an Irish Chain quilt for my son.

My neighbor and I each made the Underground Railroad for fun.

There are times that I will be making something from a traditional pattern and I find that I don't like something about it so I make changes.

I think quilting is about enjoying what you are doing and making the quilt your own way.

Last edited by kapatt; 05-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.