View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
KiwiQuilter

Default Help with Applique - tight inner curves

I'm about to start my first applique project. It's the Flower Garden by Kim McLean. Oh and it's BIG.

My plan is to hand applique. The technique I'd like to use is where you use a double layer of freezer paper and starch the seam allowance, then press the seam allowance into place.

I got my first piece ready - and thought I was doing well... BUT I clearly don't have the knack for tight inner curves. I cut into the seam allowance but when I starched and turned them over they frayed something horrible. Not much fabric is left to sew down. Not sure if you can see it in the photo (first time posting a picture with the new forum layout).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332856[/ATTACH]

I've read about fray check and how you can apply this before cutting into the seam allowance. I've also heard that it yellows with age. Does the yellowing seep through into the front??? I'd hate to invest this amount of effort for it to be spoiled. Some other people recommend using a basting glue instead - given that it is water soluable.

I'm just not sure what I should do - and how I can get good tight inner curves without fraying that will last the test of time.

Appreciate any help that you can give me...
Attached Thumbnails 2012_0505.jpg   2012_0505hastings0013.jpg