View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM
KiwiQuilter

Thanks so much for your advice.

I decided not to use the piece photographed for the main quilt, as I had put the fray stop glue on earlier - and it leached onto the front. I didn't realize how runny the fray stop was. I was worried that what I used would yellow and spoil my quilt top.

I've prepared another piece to practice on - the same shape. This time I cut only half way into the seam allowance. I also made sure that the seam allowance was a scant 1/4". When I starched the seam allowance and pressed to the wrong side - this time I started with the main parts. I left the inner curves to the last when I just did one "swish" over the top. Doing that didn't seem to cause as much damage as my first piece.

Rather than throw these 2 pieces out, I'm reusing them and am making a cover for my work diary.

Here's the progress I made last night:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]333029[/ATTACH]

When I was appliquing the inner curves, I more or less needle turned - and pinned it well into place. The stitches I did in the curves were closer together.

Not sure how it will hold up in the wash. Using it as a work diary - where it will see a lot of heavy use (and washing) should give me a good idea.

Through this process I had a few more questions.

I am disappointed with the thread I used on the shape on the left. I used one color - a purple - it shows up horribly on the pink. Should I change the color of the thread depending on what's on the fabric, e.g. should I have used pink on the pink edges?

Also - if you can't get a color match with the thread you are using (if it was a one color fabric) - do you go a fraction lighter or a fraction darker?
Attached Thumbnails 2012_0506.jpg