View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by Rhonda
Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
I have lived here all my life.
Grew up in this small Iowa town.
Rhonda--my great grandparents crossed the Mississippi by ferry at Clinton and settled in the Sigourney area back in the 1800's. How far from you? It's been a rural lifetime for me too.
That is funny! When I met my DH his family lived on a farm outside Sigourney. Dad is gone now and Mom lives with her youngest son's family in Burlington Iowa. We used to go to the farm every weekend. I could drive to Sigourney with my eyes closed.
There are three routes we would take and I know them all really well!! My kids practically grew up there on the farm. We spent alot of time in Sigourney and What Cheer and Keota and Keswick. We still go up to Osky(local version of Oscaloosa) some but not as much as we did when mom and dad still lived on the farm. They moved into town(Sigourney) when my kids were in High School.
My husband's one brother still lives in What Cheer. I could tell you lots of stories aabout our tears in and around Sigourney!
Point of information that is interesting. Sigourney is an indian word and when they dug the lake outside of Sigourney they named it Lake Yenrougis (Sigourney backwards) pronounced yen-row-gus The Keota indians lived in this area long ago. We used to go fishing there alot
Sigourney is like another home town to me. It is about 80 miles from us. When my kids were little there were no Casey's or any stores open on Sundays so we knew where the parks were and we would have to find a road out of site of the highway for a bathroom for the kids! LOL We never made the trip without having to stop a couple of times!
Gets to be a small world doesn't it--I think families were around Clear Creek (does that sound right) Late 1800's a couple of relatives were killed in a tornado.