View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
bear is gray, I did the 3 strip test that I believe you had suggested, tested and found my 'spot' at 3.8. It's perfect for 'this' quilt and I couldn't be happier. I'll continue to test every quilt with this method. Saved my sanity plus I'm going to get a beautiful quilt to boot. Can't beat that with a stick.
The three strip test really takes only a few minutes to do - glad it worked for you this time.

There are so many variables that can cause size differences in a block. After one finds 'the sweet spot' - it's important to try to continue/maintain what one did for that project. (If one has to put it away before it's done - it's helpful to put a note with the project - stating what ruler one used, where one places the ruler on the fabric like JustAbitCrazy suggested - which by the way, is where I place my ruler when cutting - which sewing machine with what presser foot and what settings, which kind of thread one was using, etc.)

I first learned about the 3-strip 'test' from Mary Ellen Hopkins in her "The It's Okay if You Sit on My Quilt Book"

It's a book I highly recommend.