View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
... What your sister's LQS said is, in my mind, equivalent to saying a lefty needs a left handed iron. Pooh! An iron is an iron. ...

LOL

Shari
Yes, but not too long ago there were irons that were designed so that you could make the cord go out either from the left or the right as needed. These days they've gotten more clever and have it exit center back, at least on the one I happen to have in view. Oddly, I have a hand mixer that has the cord come out on the left, which is not so handy for me. I solved the problem by threading it through the handle to the right, and I guess the same could be done with an iron, but I'm pretty sure that if my iron was like that it would bug me. The first few inches of the cord on the older irons were supported with a firm rubber tube to help prevent the cord from going under the iron.

The twist on the thread will alter the tendency of the thread to kink and knot while you're hand sewing, and intuitively I think I can see where the idea came from that a lefty would need a different twist, but it's surely bunk. If you consider that you can hand sew in either direction just by turning the fabric, there's no way the thread could be any different no matter who is propelling it.