View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 AM
quiltmama22

Default quiltmama22

Originally Posted by CoCoQuilter View Post
Does anyone know what the comment that straight lines should be straight??--- "Long lines of lattice need to be straight". The lattice I am taking to mean the sashing of the blocks which are set on point. I cut the sashing on grain but they would sit in the quilt at a diagonal to the edge of quilt. Do they mean that I should cut the sashing on the bias in order to have the the grain of the fabric square to the edge of quilt? ----
When I took the NQA Short Course on Quilt Judging the "straight lines should be straight" comment referred to either piecing (sashing & blocks line up in a straight line, border wobble where it is attached to the body of the quilt, outside edges straight, etc) OR to long straight line of quilting (by hand OR by machine). Regarding 2nd question---I doubt that's what they meant.

From working in judging rooms all comments about the quilt are made & recorded as the judge goes over the quilt the first time. Then at the end, when he/she is reviewing all the ones held back for possible ribbons, they "may" ask for comments to be read to them if the competition is so stiff that they are having a hard time deciding between several really nice ones.