View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Lori S

Interesting I am in the process of "remodeling" my perennial gardens... Mostly to get back the balance of the plantings. Some of the perennials are much more prolific , and others just need to get out of the shaddows. I have been digging dividing , and working in fresh compost for a couple of weeks. At first it was hard to take a shovel and just start the dividing process .. it seemed so ..harsh... ! I lifted most of what I wanted to save in very large clumps , then reworked the soil with the compost and some fertilizer , and re-planted.... It was worth it for what I have done so far. I made the decision to re-use because I knew how the plants would perform .. how high .. how fast they multiplied, when they would bloom etc. I did purchase a few new where I thought I needed more variation in color and height. I also left some space for some annuals.
I was stunned at just how much was needing just to be thinned ..... I have given away lots buckets of Shasta Daisies and still have more... to "re-home".
It looks so much better and I am wishing I had done this sooner.. like at least 5 years ago.