View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
katier825

I am making a Hunter Star quilt using a pattern in the "Hunter Star Quilts & Beyond" book by Jan Krentz. The book offers several ways to create your quilt, and I opted for the strip pieced method. The actual pattern for the design I chose, Batik Hunter Star, states a finished block of 8". In the assembly directions, it guides you to a pattern for the trapezoid shapes for the corresponding block sizes. When I followed the directions per the strip pieced section (including photos), my trapezoids came out way too small. My seams are exactly 1/4". Of course, I cut them all as indicated - which took forever - only to discover they don't work. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I checked my measurements several times, checked the instructions frequently. That leads me to believe that the instructions had either the wrong size pattern (no indication to enlarge it or anything), or it had listed the wrong finished block size/cut size of the triangles.

I'm so frustrated, but not sure where to go from here. I've been collecting batiks for awhile, so I don't know if I can get more of what I have to re-do the trapezoids. Another option is to cut down the size of the triangle to fit the trapezoids, but I'd need more fabric to make additional blocks in order to keep the overall size of the quilt similar.

How often to pattern/instruction errors happen? Has it happend to you? How did you deal with it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations.