Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I think its corn feed steers and that is with processing, wrapped and frozen; twice as much for a half, four times the price for a whole beef. His Mother (also neighbor) quoted me that price for a 'mixed' quarter balanced with what would be in a half or whole steer processed and wrapped.
If a 1200# steer dresses out at 60% that's 180# per quarter. $335 meat, processed etc is $1.86 a pound. I know that's a chunk of change but IMHO, that's very reasonable hamburger, let alone steak. Especially when we just sold steers for that $1.68-that's less than 20cents a pound in processing. It costs me 25 cents just to grind the hamburger let alone other butchering fees. I'd find out about how big the steer is when butchered.

We feed out our steers with corn/soybean meal mix and a little hay for scratch to keep the digestion processes moving. The only additive they are given is Rumensein. Yes it does increase feed efficiency, but it also deters coccidiosis which is a problem on our farm. FYI cocciciosis (carried by birds) is a spirochete that burrows into the animal's stomach. Causes diarhhea in the animal; naturally animal doesn't get any nutritive value from the food it eats and will end up dying of "starvation". We use no other hormones and only antibiotic use if animal is sick ie pneumonia, which for us is uncommon.