Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I was going to try and sell some quilts but they told me to forget it and explained why and I'm glad I didn't. When I go to craft fairs, I love to buy handmade items, but don't want to spend too much money. Also, now they have an app and a clip on slide that you put on your cell phone and you can take debit cards on your cell phone. My DIL uses her phone at her place of business for this purpose and it works great. You can buy stylist pens now that write on iphones so customers can sign their names on your phone. They sell them on ebay. I use them so I don't fat finger my phone all the time. They're great. It's off the subject, but noteworthy.
Not off topic at all, and the app is called Square (go to square.com), in case anybody is planning a craft fair outing in the near future. A lady near me (also not sellling anything) had it and showed it to the rest of us in the room. Very cool, and free. (I think they charge 2.75% of purchase, but free other than that.)

About the pricing thing: Yeah, I did a fair bit of research and prep before I went. I had lots of coasters and ornaments ($5-20.00), some placemats and tablerunners ($35-65) and a couple of crib-sized quilts, the most expensive of which was $125. I also sell photo notecards (priced at $3.25), which were the only things I did sell...I was mostly hoping to get my name out there as a custom quilt maker, and maker of fine photcards, and maybe sell some odds and ends, but people weren't even picking up business cards!

I had a set up that included a frame with a (very tidy) line that crossed over the top of the table, so I had a bunch more vertical display than most of the other vendors (idea courtesy of http://mermaidscloset.blogspot.com/2...d-to-know.html), with ornaments hanging pretty much at eye level, and not lying inertly on my table... I am fairly confident that the issue was the traffic volume (low) and the purchasing intent (also low).

Alison