Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
burchquilts

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Since you live in a cold part of the country, a little quilt that's just right over the baby's car seat would be very useful, also. It doesn't need to be big unless you just want to make a bigger one.

I agree with the suggestions about using theme fabric from popular children's books that do not lean toward exclusively boy or girl. You can find prints that have leaves or swirls or geometrics or cute animals, and have as your main colors either one or more primaries or green, and nobody will say "What a cute little boy!" when it's a girl, or vice-verse. Pieced houses are a cute theme for any little one. I have been making baby quilts lately and find I gravitate toward quilts that have a lot of white or cream, which creates plenty of contrast, even if you like light colors. For example, check out this one: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/05/...ays-quilt.html Also, warm wishes quilt with a theme fabric and three repeated colors in the strip block looks great in all sorts of color combinations.
That's a great quilt! I like lots of white, too. I usually try to make my baby quilts pretty good size so they can use them longer, but sometimes it just depends on what size the pattern ends up being. Thank you for your great suggestions!