View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
grayhare

Originally Posted by butterflywing View Post
the 99K is not that unusual, as it turns out, especially without the original cabinet. there are several members here who have one. i bought one at a yard sale for $10 and added $25 in parts (plate, belt and ring + s and h) for a total of $35 (parts from billy [lostn52]). it was in the original cabinet, never painted and had all the tools and manual. when i posted the pictures, other members realized that they had one in their attics, their garages and in their basements. the cabinets all matched mine and most of them were in good shape. be patient. they're around and one will 'find' you.

grayhare, it's the cabinet that's the kicker. cabinets never last as long as machines, but you could always switch out one cabinet for another of the same size. not so with the 3/4 size. fewer 3/4's were made, so fewer cabinets. also many were considered portable even through they weigh a ton and never had a table to start with. the portables had the carrying cases, which also weigh as much as a newborn elephant, and they didn't always survive. but you'd be surprised at how many members here have the original set. if i could find the post, you'd see everyone's pictures. it's like the attack of the 99K's. (do posts only go back a certain amount of time and then go to the post graveyard?)
I found your post and saw a picture of your machine and cabinet. Wow, very nice, I like the cabinet. You say that it is all wood. Very nice! I hope that some day I find one, and it follows me home. Maybe this summer with all the yard sales coming up.