Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM
AshleyR

Default Tips to make old desk into quilting table

I have a lovely older wooden desk. The only problem that I have with it is that the top is too tall. Especially when I have a sewing machine on it. That adds what? 4inches? I've been reading how people have built up around the machine to make a flush surface, but I really need to bring it down 3-4 inches instead.

So I was thinking about cutting the front of the desk. A regular rectangle just a few inches larger than my machine all the way around. Then suspending this cut out with the metal hanging tape that they use to hold your pipes and A/C units.

That's all I can think of. I don't have a quilting extension table or anything like that. Just big desk and a sewing machine! Oh, the desk does have a drawer right there, and when I pull it out to experiment, I can set the machine right on the drawer and it's a good height. But I don't think it would support the weight of the machine and quilting for long.

So any and all suggestions are welcome.. no matter how far-fetched or obvious to you (cause it's not to me!)
Attached Thumbnails securedownload%2520-7-.jpeg