Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
kpross

Since you know the drawer makes for a good height for your machine, I would cut a rectangle hole in the top, not to the edge, and place the machine down on the drawer. (If you go to the edge, I'm afraid it would be uncomfortable when you are quilting and leaning over the machine.) I would attach a board or metal straps, whatever you can, under / across the bottom of drawer, to support the drawer and machine. You will then be in heaven - machine at proper height for quilting and the L-shape in the perfect spot to support your quilts. How would it be to remove the front of the drawer? Then you could access the bobbin from the front, but keep the sides and bottom of the drawer in place to help support the machine. If that doesn't seem feasible, as others have said, you can just make the hole large enough for your hand to fit in and access the bobbin from above. My machine is placed in a hole in a quilting table a family member made for me, and the hole is sufficient to reach the bobbin. I traced the rectangle hole and the outline of my machine on a big piece of newsprint, took it to the local glass shop, and they made me a plexiglass insert that fills the space between the table and the machine. It works out really well. While I was at it, I had them make a solid insert, without the hole for the machine. So, when I need the table for sandwiching, I can remove the machine, put in the solid insert and have the large surface I need. It also works well as a tracing table when I put a light on the shelf under the plexiglass. Good luck! Please post pics when you finish. ETA: the glass shop only charged me a few dollars for the plexiglass inserts - a bargain when you see how much custom sewing machine inserts are!