View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
MrsBoats

Question layout organization help needed

I'm making an Easy Does It quilt, but with some modifications (mostly because I've got far fewer colors than the pattern calls for). It's got two different kinds of strips, and because of my modifications, one set of strips has to go end-for-end; A end on the right this strip, B end on the right next, etc.

I laid them all out on my bed to get them organized, then (I thought!) I carefully stacked them up and moved to my sewing room, where they're draped over the ironing board. I've already taken out and resewn three strips, and I'm not even halfway down the length of the quilt yet. One of them I got on backwards (A end instead of B) and two were just out of order. It finally occurred to me to put a safety pin in the top right corner (as I'm looking at it); that at least has kept me from putting any more on backwards.

But there's GOT to be an easier, more organized way than this! At one point I was seriously considering taking everything over to the neighbor's, pinning it to her clothesline, run an extension cord and sew right there. So what do you do? How do you keep your strip sets organized while you're sewing?

I've got a grid of numbers printing right now. I figure I'll cut them out, lay the whole thing out on my bed again, then pin the numbers on. Which will work for now, but is there a better/easier way to stay organized?