View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Jennalyn

Default Debating a New Machine

I'm giving myself a few more weeks to save up and then I'm planning on buying myself a new machine. I think I might know which model to get based on my needs and budget, but I'd appreciate the input of all the wonderful people on this board before I go and drop the money.

My current machine situation: I have two machines (technically three, but Nanna's old baby stopped working and there are no replacement motors - somewhat specialized). One is my beautiful little Featherweight I use all the time. I've brought her into my office at work and I piece during breaks and lunch. Couldn't ask for a more beautiful stitch, but she does have her limitations. The other is a plastic singer POS that Dad got for Mom a few years ago at Joann's. It's functional... enough, and I primarily use it if I need a zigzag stitch and for sewing pet hammocks. Its tension is the biggest pain in the butt and it's very temperamental.

My needs: I'd really like to start teaching myself FMQ. Neither of the machines I have right now are suited for the task. I'd also like a longer machine base to give myself more room. Buying a table to recess the machine into just isn't an option right now with the cramped quarters at home, so I have to use one of several available spaces. I don't do embroidery or general sewing, so I have zero need for fancy stitches or anything like that. I'd like something that's going to last me a good number of years without giving up or wearing out. I don't sew heavily, but I want something reliable for the scraps of time I do manage to steal.

My budget: I'm willing to invest somewhere in the ballpark of $700 in a new machine. I won't have the money for much more than that.

Soooo, with all of that being said, I'm thinking the Brother PQ1500S might be the machine for me. Does anyone have opinions/reviews on this machine? Other suggestions? I'd be grateful!