Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 AM
IBQLTN

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post

But ... you asked for a recipe for pumpkin butter - I have one that is easy-peasy and super delish.

Cut pumpin(s) into quarters or smaller, roast in 350 degree oven until cooked thoroughly, scrape all the pumpkin flesh into large kettle, cook slowly over very low heat,stir once in a while to make sure it doesn't stick to bottom of the pan, until it thickens up to the consistency of cream of wheat ... add brown sugar to taste (I usually put in about 1 cup for every 4 cups of pumpkin) and some UNCRYSTALLIZED candied ginger, chopped fine (I get it from Trader Joe's, hope you can find some somewhere, if not local, maybe online? Crystallized might work too, but the flavor will be more pronounced) continue cooking and stirring until the pumpkin butter is a nice deep orangish brown, it is nice and thick and it tastes just right. see, simple, three ingredients a little stirring and the aroma is wonderful even before you add the sugar and ginger.

So, if I make some pumpkin butter can I hop on the train for an afternoon? I'll even bring my own bagels, since I'm allergic to raisins. Otherwise I'll have to be pumping away in the handcar way far behind you, trying to get everything else done so I can ride the train later.
Oh, my, I was thinking something you start with canned pumpkin -- ha-ha-ha! I'm not even sure I'd know how to pick a proper pumpkin but the recipe sounds delish. I wonder if I could substitute, sugar free ingredients? DH is diabetic and my Weight Watchers leader is allergic to sugar. I may have to check out the Florida pumpkin crop in the fall and give it a whirl! Thanks for the recipe!