View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
starshine

For several months now especially last summer people were posting here on the board about the price of cotton going up. I don't get to my LQS very often because I work and one of the 2 days they have evening hours I have another commitment, so that leaves one week night, and Saturday that I can go. A couple of months ago I was in the quilt shop and they had fabric for 11.99 and 12.99 and last month when I was at JoAnn's there was a bolt for 12.99, it was one of the premium lines (heavier and better quality).
When cotton prices go up they go up for everyone. At least at JoAnn's you can use a coupon for fabric and notions; and at my LQS they will do some sales with a percent off usually not more than 20%. I expect the next time you do get to the LQS you will see comparable increases.
And at the JoAnn's I go to they ask what I'm working on (even sometimes the check out clerk), and if I ask for help they will try to help, and they do seem to know something about sewing even the younger women working there.

I like that I have the choice to got to both stores. I like that if I want to go on a weeknight I can go to JoAnn's which is farther away from me. I love that JoAnn's offers coupons, and often has quilting items for 50% off with no coupon needed.
And most of all we in the USA aren't paying what quilters in other countries are paying! Since joining this board I have read various times what others pay per meter. I won't even complain about $15 / yard knowing what they have to pay-that was before the cotton increase. Of course no one likes it when a price goes up, but we still have it better than quilters in any other country.