Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 PM
treadlep

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
I have a 1923 Singer 99K that I put a handcrank on for my GD and noticed while she was sewing the pressure foot pressure (is that redundant?) was loose. Did the usual visual inspection and when I opened the needle bar cover discovered there is no spring on the pressure bar! So ... does anyone have a spare spring they'd be willing to sell to me? Thanks!
I have a 1941 Singer 99 and thought I was missing the presser foot bar spring, but found the spring is actually enclosed inside of a metal tube that surrounds the presser foot bar, so there isn't a visible spring until you take it apart. If your spring is in the same location you can adjust the pressure with the knob screw on top of the machine. I do notice that when the presser foot is dropped it has a "flat" feel to it compared to some other machines which may be due to the fact that the presser foot isn't hinged so therefore isn't as springy. Of course you might be missing the spring after all---it's a very narrow, small spring compared to the ones typically visible on the outside of the presser foot bar.