Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
MdmSew'n'Sew

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
Oh, my, I was thinking something you start with canned pumpkin -- ha-ha-ha! I'm not even sure I'd know how to pick a proper pumpkin but the recipe sounds delish. I wonder if I could substitute, sugar free ingredients? DH is diabetic and my Weight Watchers leader is allergic to sugar. I may have to check out the Florida pumpkin crop in the fall and give it a whirl! Thanks for the recipe!
I don't know why you couldn't start with canned pumpkin, roasting gives it a little kick in flavor, but canned will work too - and you can use splenda, I sometimes will mix it half and half with sugar, since my diabetes is under control with no meds or insulin - if you can get the sugar pumpkins, they're extra sweet on their own, so you can use less sugar - if using Splenda, I would just put in the chopped ginger and cook it down, then add the sweetener just before it's done - tasting it to see how sweet it is, adding a little at a time. I think all recipes are suggestions only ... sort of like quilt patterns