Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
nurseknitsLaura

I have the habit of taking all the pressure off this spring as soon as I get a machine, and leaving it off while I clean, etc, and if it is going to sit around unused. It is probably a superstition, but it seems to me that the springs get some "spring" back if they are not under compression all the time. Most machines seem to have them too tight, anyway. Laura

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
Joe, thanks for suggesting Sew-Classic.

Treadlep, you are right, that spring is inside the metal tube on my 99. I had adjusted the knob screw but saw no results. After reading your post I removed that screw and poked on the rod and it barely moved. So I pulled the rod out and poked inside the tube with a dental pick. The spring felt like it was jammed, or caught, inside the tube, so I gently pushed and pulled at it until I felt movement. I replaced the rod and screw and now there is more pressure on the foot. I just wasn't happy with how much "play" the fabric had under the pressure foot and didn't think it was because the machine is being handcranked. Thank you for your help!