View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
sunny42539

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I did a presentation on quilting for 2 of my classes (I will be done with my Associates Degree in Registered Vet Tech in 5 months!!!). I focused on the history of quilting re: why women quilted, what supplies they had available, quilting bees as a social activity for the prairie women, when the sewing machine was invented, etc. I then went on to the inventions that have made the process of quilting easier: Fabric in abundance, Scissors, rotary cutters, plexiglass templates vs. paper, rulers, printed patterns, die cut machines, advanced sewing machines, long arm machines. I discussed how quilting is not only a utility need but also quilts that are made just for show, quilt shows etc. I also took in some of my quilts for visual aids!

I just tried to find my report on my computer but I guess I did it before my computer crashed and the mother board had to be replaced. I could dig to see if I have a hard copy of it if you would be interested in seeing it, I would be willing to share!!!
I had an art class and they told us to do a paper on any kind of art. I asked if I could sew a quilt and they said yes. I did a doll quilt and did a paper giving the history of quilting and why people made quilts. I also said that people used what they had available such as old clothing. At the end of my paper I told how some people made or left imperfections as it was bad luck to have a perfect quilt. One of my classmates asked if that was why I made my quilt crooked. I laughed and said no I hadn't even noticed it was crooked.