View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

In my opinion, you need to prioritize what you enjoy.

Top of my list is an urban area because I like having lots of activities around me, lots of choices within a short drive away, great emergency and hospital care, choice of doctors, etc. I've seen many couples retire to lake cabins, but that is absolutely not my dream for retirement. I don't want to grow old in isolation. I want to be near colleges and universities where I can audit classes, attend theater and musical events, and where I can meet regularly with other quilters (and where there are several quilt shops within driving distance!). I also want top-notch computer and other media connections with the rest of the world.

Next priority for me is family. There's just no substitute for being close to family and friends. So, I would choose an urban area near family.

Third priority for me is climate. If I had a choice, a climate similar to that of Tennessee would be my choice, with Costa Rica a possible second choice. Have been to Florida and it's just too hot and humid for me. However, my urban/family priority pretty much rules out lower priority choices involving climate, taxes, etc.

So, my advice is to decide what's most important to you in terms of everyday life. Are you rural or urban? Do you want to be near family? Do you want a college or university nearby? Weather? For me, anyway, taxes are last on the list of priorities. If everything else is perfect, taxes would not ruin it for me.