View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by loveybegonia View Post
I'm new to this. Just what do you use it for in quilting?
The great thing about freezer paper is that the shiny coating will stick to fabric when you iron it. So, I use it for pattern pieces in garment sewing: I copy the pattern onto freezer paper, then iron the freezer paper onto the fabric. I don't have to pin the fabric when I cut it out, and the freezer paper lasts longer than tissue.

I also use freezer paper for templates when appliqueing. I cut out 2 mirror-image templates from the freezer paper and glue them together so the shiny sides are out. Then iron the templates onto the fabrics, cut the pieces out (don't forget to add 1/4" seam allowance), and with an iron and a little bit of starch, prepare the applique by applying a small amount of starch on the fabric, fold over the seam allowance and press it onto the back of the freezer paper template. The freezer paper on the back will hold onto the fabric until it is set by the iron and starch.

I have a box of parchment paper in my sewing room also; I use it as a pressing sheet for applique (freezer paper won't stick to it) and it protects my iron and board from fusible web.