Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Teacup

Default Do you FMQ on a Singer 201 or 301? I have questions…

I’ve tried to FMQ without success on my old Kenmore and inexpensive Brother but due to small throat space and these machines being free standing and not inset into a table I’ve given up in frustration. After reading some postings here about good results using the old Singers for free motion quilting I’ve been working on getting my mother’s old 201 cleaned and repaired. It’s almost done but I’ve been waiting for months for DH to install it into a replacement cabinet.

I kept reading and saw that some people prefer to FMQ on a Singer 301 due to better results with a vertical bobbin (301) than the horizontal bobbin (201). This week, from Craig’s List, I got a very nice black 301 for a good price ($40, including the cabinet, instruction book and many specialty feet). I do have to replace the cords, which I’m going to order from the Sew Classic website, and get bobbins.

My questions:
1. If you FMQ on a either a 201 or 301, what tips do you have?
2. What type of thread works best for you?
3. Do you use Singer needles, or do other common brands work?
4. What size needle?
5. Do you add a Supreme Slider or other slick surface?
6. I have some Bobbin Genies – do you use them?
7. What type of free motion/darning foot do you use? I’m going to have to order a slant shank FMQ foot for the 301. Does anyone know if there is one with an open toe rather than a fully closed circle? I’d really prefer one with an open view if there is such a critter.
8. Anything else I should know?

Thanks for sharing your advice and expertise!